Monday, April 14, 2008

Yada yada and matzoh

Okay--bit of a lull there. It's not that I didn't want to write--it's my usual plaint--too busy. I even started drafting a couple of things. . .only to find I didn't have time to complete them. One of them I'm ditching altogether--too whiny--even for me.

What, pray tell, is keeping me so busy?--Oh, this and that. Among other things, my son's birthday party was this past weekend. (Californians are flakes about RSVPing, in case you wanted to know). Additionally, no sooner does my husband get back from his 2-week business trip, than my housekeeper unexpectedly has to take off to Mexico for a week, as her mother is gravely ill.

Now, it's always a little more difficult for me when she's gone--I really rely on her more than any other human being, as my husband works all the time and we have no family here, but it's usually bearable. (Well, it's bearable for me, because I've lived with my slob of a self all my life. For my husband, my housekeeping skill--or rather, lack thereof-- is, at best, a grimace-and-bear-it situation when the housekeeper is here. It verges on disaster (can you spell D-I-V-O-R-C-E?) when she's gone. Just so you know, though, I'm not DIRTY, just messy. Really. Truly. Cross my heart. For example, I will keep the bathrooms and kitchens pretty darn clean. . .I figure anything remotely connected with an orifice should be clean, clean, clean). But the week before Pesach (or Passover, if you prefer) is probably one of the worst times EVER for her to be gone. There is so much cleaning and clearing out, packing up and unpacking, washing and scrubbing, shopping and cooking that goes on that I normally rely on her very heavily at this time. Ah well, guess dear hubby will have to pitch in if he wants the kitchen as Pesadich as he normally likes it.

An aside: My housekeeper was not sure if I would "let" her go see her possibly dying mother. Good grief. What kind of monster does she think I am? I don't know how I could have lived with myself if I had said no. Who would do that? Are people really that heartless and selfish? Never mind, I don't even want to know. I think I prefer to live in the la-la land of my own making, where people really do want to do the right thing. . .

So, it will continue to be hit or miss for the next week or two. I'm hoping to slip in a book recommendation, some humor, and lord knows what else (probably a little whining. . .I'm still me, after all).

For all of you who celebrate (or barely tolerate) it--Happy Pesach. Enjoy the matzoh (and all its attendant digestive, um, effects)!

No comments: