Friday, March 28, 2008

Potato Bugs and Happy Accidents

A friend of mine recently started blogging. In one of his first posts he mentioned potato bugs--metaphorically, really, but that's beside the point. I don't know whether I should be embarrassed about this or not, but I had no idea what a potato bug looked like--so, God Bless Google images. I looked them up. (As the Little Duckling said to the Pigeon in the Mo Willem's classic The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog: "Hey, I'm a curious bird.") And potato bugs are huge, and just really gross. (It's always good to learn new things--even icky ones).

So, what was the happy accident? In my research, I found that there is some mighty fine and mighty funny writing and blogging out there about potato bugs. Seriously--there is a whole cadre of funny potato-bug-haters. Who knew? I even ran across a comment on one of the blogs from one of my favorite bloggers from a very different context: Cybele from Candy Blog. However, I don't want to think too much about a connection between candy and potato bugs. I just don't. Although it could prove to be a very effective diet aid.

Serendipity can be a wonderful thing.

No comments: