Monday, March 31, 2008

Outrage and other Miscellany

1. I had to make make my yearly mammogram appt. It's approximately 2 months before I'm due, and I thought that if I called today, it would be plenty of advance time. Probably any other Average Josephine would think the same.

How wrong I was.

I could not get an appointment until the beginning of AUGUST. Now, granted, this is just a screening mammogram (and I'm assuming, hoping, that if it were a diagnostic mammo, I'd have an appointment pronto), but more than a 4-month wait for the pleasure of having my breast tissue squeezed flatter than road kill under a semi? It's outrageous, ludicrous, and it's really pissing me off. Can you tell? It's not like Cedars is the next hip, hot and happening restaurant, you know. ("Pardon me, may I get a well-placed mammogram machine?" "I'm sorry, we're booked solid--if you want a good mammography machine, the next available appointment is in 2010."). Jeez, are velvet ropes next? I'm sorry, the Mark Taper Building's not all THAT.

And people are scared of socialized medicine?? Oh yeah, we're doing a helluva lot better with our free enterprise-driven system. . .

2. PMS sucks. Especially on days when your car battery eats it and you can't friggin' get a mammogram for more than 4 months. And why is it that PMS seems to get worse the closer to menopause you get? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Hmmph. I'm cranky.

That should make my trip out of town this weekend--to a family retreat with the kids--great fun, huh? Even more fun? My husband, presumably part of the family, probably will not be making it to this family retreat. (Did I mention it is a FAMILY retreat?), as he is out-of-town for two weeks for work.

3. On the other hand, I'm actually finding life easier without my husband around. Is that bad?

No comments: