Thursday, August 21, 2008

Teaser Tuesdays (Two Days Late)

Sorry for the radio silence folks. It was a combination of feeling unmotivated AND being on jury duty. Luckily, I was kicked off a panel (via peremptory challenge) yesterday--and so am done with my civic duty for a year.

As I missed Tuesday's posting, I decided to post Tuesday's Teasers on Thursday this week. I love being the G-d of my own Blog!!

The rules again:

Teaser Tuesdays, hosted at Should Be Reading, asks you to:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!


  • Two books again this week.

    The first is from a FANTASTIC book called My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger. It's targeted at the YA audience, but as far as I can tell, every adult who has read it LOVES it (personal anecdotes and 5-star reviews from everyone-no exceptions last time I looked-on Amazon). Another example of a the YA moniker being unduly restrictive. Oh, and it's three sentences, but it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

    Dear Mama,
    We have a science teacher at Laurents named Mr. Landey, and since his father is deaf he knows American Sign Language (they call it ASL). So I've been learning it from him every day after sixth period. I've already nailed the whole alphabet, even though I still get D and F mixed up (which really isn't a problem as long as I stay away from "duck
    "). (page 154)

    Oh, and I can't resist a few more lines--again--I love being able to be the G-d of my blog.

    Augie is falling in love with Andy Wexler.
    Andy Wexler is falling in love with Augie.
    Augie doesn't know that Andy is gay.
    Andy doesn't know that Augie is gay (Hello?)
    I'm glad I'm a girl.
    (page 69)

    Gosh, there are so many great lines. . .I could just keep going. But I will stop myself here.

    I continue on my Stephanie Meyer jag--but this time I'm reading a book NOT in the Twilight saga: Ms. Meyer recently wrote an adult science-fiction-ish book called
    The Host, from which the following quote comes (and I cheated on the length again):

    I couldn't stop shivering. Jeb could only promise me now. There was no guarantee that Jared would not decide my secret was more important than protecting Melanie's body. I knew that such a fate would make me wish Ian had succeeded last night. (page 162)

    Happy reading, folks.

    2 comments:

    Florinda said...

    I don't usually post my "Tuesday Teasers" till Friday. Sometimes it seems like the day of the week associated with memes is more like a guideline for responding :-).

    The quotes from My Most Excellent Year are HILARIOUS, especially the ASL one :-). Thanks for sharing!

    Vanessa said...

    These seem like great books - I love YA books - usually such great reads.

    The 19th wife is about poligamy - so good. It weaves together the story of the 19th wife of Brigham Young in the 1830s and the murder trial of a current day 19th wife as told through the eyes of her excommunicated gay son. A great read! I just got back from vacation and am going to review it on my blog.