Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Green Lemonade

Short post today--still too much to do before reno. Wanted to let you know I continue to live and breathe, though.

Okay, those who know me know that, although I try to make reasonably healthy food choices, I cannot be called a health foodist. I enjoy chocolate cake (and a few thousand other sweet treats) as much as anyone. Foie gras? You betcha. An occasional greasy fry? Oh YEAH. Still, all in all, I try to keep the crap to a minimum.

And every once in a while, a truly healthy food crosses my path that I actually love. Lately, there have been two items. First is--hold your hats, folks-- Kale in a Krunch Chips in Pleasing Pesto by Alive and Radiant Foods. These are basically dehydrated pieces of kale, flavored with basil, garlic, hemp seeds and some other stuff. Most of it organic. All of it raw. I know, I know. Kale? Hemp Seeds? Dehydrated? Raw? Have I gone off the deep end? Nope, nope, nope and nope. These are the most addictive things this side of crack. The crunch is perfect (if you make sure they stay dry after opening) and the pesto flavor is so savory, so yummy, that it is almost impossible to stop eating them. It is rare that a whole bag will last even a day in our house. Lest you question my judgment, I brought them into my Pilates studio to share--(I know, this is arguably a self-selecting group) and they were a huge hit. (BTW, not every one who takes Pilates is all crunchy and healthy. My Pilates instructor, despite her g-ddamned perfect body AND face, is also a pastry chef--we spend almost every session exercising and talking about food. There's probably something wrong with that. . .but we don't care.) I'm telling you these things ROCK. And on top of everything else--they are really good for you. Kale is a major superfood, so you can satisfy your savory tooth and feel good about it at the same time. This stuff comes in other flavors, but I love the pesto flavor so much that I've not yet been tempted to stray. . .

Aw man, what was I thinking? This stuff is hard to come by--and now I've shared the secret. (Head. Banging. On. Wall.)

The second item takes a little more labor, but the health benefits are so great and the taste so yummy (assuming you like lemon), that all the work is worth it. If everyone drank a cup of this every morning--it might just bring down the cost of health insurance. 'Cause I'm tellin' you, hardly anyone would be getting sick. What is this nectar of the gods, you ask?

Green Lemonade. I cannot even begin to take credit for this recipe. It comes from another raw food source. (I know, what is UP with all this raw food stuff in my house?): The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. Again, you don't have to be a raw foodie or detoxing to benefit from this juice. I'll let Ms. Rose describe it: "[Green Lemonade] literally infuses your body with millions of enzymes, keeps your immune system strong year-round, offers unparallelled protection against osteoporosis, and tastes highly refreshing and filling." It also cures the nastiest of hangovers. (Okay, she didn't say this last--but I thought it sounded good anyway. And you know what--I wouldn't be surprised if it did cure what ails you the morning after. . .).

I give you....(drumroll, please). . . .

GREEN LEMONADE

Makes 1 serving

1 head (yes, head) romaine lettuce or celery (NB: Unless you LOVE celery, I, Nouvelle Blogger, recommend you stick with the romaine).
5 to 6 stalks kale (any type)
1 to 2 apples (as needed for sweetness--Ms. Rose recommends organic Fuji)
1 whole organic lemon (you don't have to peel it)
1 to 2 inches fresh ginger (optional)

Process the vegetables in a juicer. (Apparently, a food processor or blender is NOT what you're looking for here). Pour into a large glass, and drink! Notice how the lemon really cuts out the "green" taste that most people try to avoid. You may use any greens in place of the romaine and kale, like celery, chard, collards, spinach, cucumber, and so forth--as long as there are some dark leafy greens in there too. For best results, enjoy Green Lemonae on an empty stomach.

Try it, you'll like it. Trust me. And the check's in the mail. Really.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm..... mouth watering. I am going to try this out for sure. I am sure all who are concerned about their health will get to read this. Thanks..

Karen said...

It really IS good. Actually, both things are good. Thanks for your comment and I hope you enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Vigrx Reviews
Vigrx Plus Reviews