Friday, July 25, 2008

The Thin, Blue Whine

Wow. It feels like I do nothing but complain about how busy I am. So busy I can't post. But, dammit, it's true. Especially true this week. No sooner do I get home from BlogHer than I have to start getting ready for a weeklong family trip (with all the in-laws) to Minnesota--Land o' Lakes and mosquitos. (West Nile Virus anyone? I'm so paranoid that I've purchased three or four different brands of mosquito repellent. Approach me at your peril, you bloodsuckers, 'cause I'm armed and dangerous. Not to mention premenstrual. And if you think for a moment I'm going to let you anywhere near my precious children, you're in for a rude awakening. Or rude squashing, if you want to get technical about it. But isn't all mosquito squashing, by it's very nature, rude? To the mosquitos, that is. Hmm. I wonder, did I take my meds today???) And two days after we get home from Minnesota, my daughter leaves for her first stint ever at sleep-away camp. That should be an immensely relaxing two days.

Basically, what this all means is that for the past two-and-a-half weeks or so, in addition to all my other home responsibilities, which are too numerous to, well, enumerate, I've been trying to get everything ready for three trips. Oh, and did I mention that we're planning to remodel part of our house and refurnish the whole durn thing? I've been working on that, too. I won't bore you with the list of all the other shit I do and don't get paid for. Most of you SAHM's already know all about it.

Long, whiny story short(ish), I've had a ton of ideas and no time to write. I'm hoping (am I nuts?) that during our stay in Minnesota I will be be able to slip away and do some writing. I've already asked my husband to step up to the plate with the kids once in a while. He's agreed. It remains to be seen whether and how this agreement--now theoretical--will translate to reality. I have to say, I'm skeptical, as our respective conceptions of "stepping up to the plate" probably differ wildly. You know, the whole "you say po-tay-toe, I say po-tah-toe" thing. (Which I infinitely prefer to the Mars/Venus comparison. I don't know if you've read the original Mars/Venus book, but I came away feeling as if the author was, if not a misogynist, then a self-centered male apologist looking for a way to get women to bear the lion's share of emotional responsibility in a relationship. But hey, that's just my impression. I did mention I was premenstrual, did I not?)

I just hope I can remember all the various topics I've been wanting to tackle. Sadly, so much time has passed that some may not even be relevant any longer. Grrr. This is the first time in my life that I've been dying to write . . .and now I find I don't have time to do it.

Whether I write or no, I don't think I'll have internet access while I'm away--so no postings. Perhaps I'll have a whole backlist when I get home that I'll simply be able to plug in the appropriate places. . .

Okay--got some bedtime child-wrangling to do. No more writing tonight.

Ha! That certainly brings this post full-circle, doesn't it?

In the immortal words (abbreviation? acronym?) of Tigger--

TTFN-- to one and all.

No comments: